Overview: This page provides links to resources for those who seeking to implement water conservation while maintaining profitability as well as links to Kansas five Groundwater Management Districts
- KDA – Division of Water Resources, Water Conservation Areas support: Contact your field office for assistance in obtaining water right flexibility to achieve water conservation
- Kansas Water Office – Water Technology Farms
- KSU/Research help
- KSU Southwest Research Extension Center: Water management program. Information on maximizing irrigation efficiency and their crop water allocator (now multi-year), much more.
- Ogallalawater.org http://ogallalawater.org/ – for more, see our article
For more information on GMDs see DWR web page at: https://agriculture.ks.gov/gmds
Western Kansas GMD No. 1
- Website: http://gmd1.org/
- Board meeting(s): Typically third Wednesdays, 8 a.m. http://gmd1.org/index-4.html
- Cost share on probes and technology improvements
- 1/28/2021: Wichita County LEMA Approved
Equus Bed GMD No. 2
- Website: http://gmd2.org/.
- Social media: Facebook
- Recent/Next Board meeting(s): http://gmd2.org/Meetings.html.
- Board meeting notes at: http://gmd2.org/Archives.html
Southwest Kansas GMD No. 3
- Website: http://www.gmd3.org/
- Social media: Facebook; Twitter: @SWGMD3
- Next Board meeting: Typically second Wednesday, 9:00 am
Board meeting notes at: http://www.gmd3.org/about/meeting-agendas-minutes/
Northwest Kansas GMD No. 4
- Website: http://gmd4.org/
- Social media: Facebook
- Next Board meeting: Typically first Wednesday, 9:00 am.
- Board meeting notes at: http://gmd4.org/BoardMeetings.html
- Cost share on probes and VRI upgrades.
- GMD 4 is working to develop a “Certified Irrigator” Program to Kansas similar to other states programs. See:
- Master Irrigator Program, North Plains Groundwater Conservation District, Texas (includes 26 presentations on diverse and helpful topics from their 2019 program)
- Colorado program for the Republican River basin
Big Bend GMD No. 5
- Website: https://gmd5.org/
- Social media: Facebook; Twitter: @BigBendGMD5
- Recent/Next Board meeting(s): Typically, second Thursday, 7:00 p.m.
- Board notes at https://gmd5.org/board-of-directors.
- More places to go for help (e.g. crop consultants focused on maintaining profitability while using less)
- Legislative act to encourage/support water conservation: IGUCAs, LEMAs, WCAs, no abandonment in closed area; requirements for due consideration of past conservation in allocations.
Send ideas for this page to email@example.com